our story

The United Methodist Church got its start from the ministry and leadership of John Wesley, born in 1703 in a little village in England named Epworth. Our church shares more than just a name with Wesley’s homeplace – we share a vision for helping people grow in faith and serve the world. Wesley called this scriptural holiness. 

On September 25, 1960, 49 people gathered in a home on Rosemont Drive to start a new church to serve the newly built Winchester neighborhood. The congregation met in five different locations prior to moving to its first permanent building on Easter Sunday, April 10, 1963. Epworth was originally established as a neighborhood church, but our neighborhood gets larger and larger. As Columbus has grown and changed, so has Epworth. On Sunday, July 9, 2006, 49 new members from Hamp Stevens Memorial UMC joined our congregation. The vision of those who went forth in faith in 1960 became a reality, but we must continue to dream and seek ways to respond to the call of God.

  The Pastors Who Have Served At Epworth and the year they started:

1960 - Lamar Ball

1966 - Don Kea

1971 - Charles Culbreth

1973 - Bill McTier

1977 - Ronnie Culpepper

1981 - Dick Reese

1986 - Allen Brooks

1988 - Joe Newton

1989 - Marcia Cochran

2004 - Rick Mitchell

2007 - Cindy Autry

2008 - Ron Smith

2010 - Scott Hagan

2015 - Tony Crosby

2020 - Earnestine Campbell